Contracting out

When you opt to leave the State Second Pension (S2P) or State Earnings Related Pension Scheme (SERPS), this is known as contracting out. You’ll receive a rebate on your National Insurance contributions, which can be invested in a pension fund. This only applies to people who are members of occupational schemes, however you may still have ‘Contracted Out’ benefits from the past.